Thursday, June 09, 2005

hyhygwd (Michael typed that)

The hike on Tuesday was breath-taking in two ways: 1) it was so beautiful to see those huge, green, snow-topped mountains and gushing streams from melted snow, and 2) it was so steep that I had to stop for a breath about every 1/8th mile. I actually drank from a fresh mountain stream and knew that it was untouched by human pollution because the only people who go up that mountain are park workers who maintain the trail or serious hikers who work so hard to get up there away from civilization and pollution that there's no way they would mess it up. I was on all fours at times, just to make sure I didn't slip and plummet to my death, and for one part I had to hold on to a rope someone had previously secured and scale across the narrow, rocky path. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life. The air was so fresh. The water so pure. The plants so wild and green.

Some bird that resembled a pheasant and a duck (but wasn't either of those) blocked the path and made warning noises at me and walked around threateningly. I'm sure she felt I was entirely too close to her nest and she didn't want me to come a step further. I think I finally convinced her that I wasn't after her babies when I got past her and further down the path.

Last night, Michael drove the boat out just after sunset. It was a crisp, cool night and the soft breeze felt so refreshing on my face. The mountains at dusk resemble huge dark beasts gaurding the channel from trespassers and protecting those inside the big bowl--such as my own small self. Again--one of the best experiences in my life.

Love to you all,
Melissa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home