Friday, May 20, 2005

Day four

Friday

This morning, Grandma and I went to the visitor's center at centennial hall. There was a store kinda thing in the building and I bought a little skinny wallet for $5. It's all leather and pink with an India-style rose engraved on both sides. I needed a skinnier wallet and it's really pretty. Grandma Bev found a red woven hat with a wide brim that she went back and bought later today. She likes it because it stays on her head even in the wind.

Then we went to the State Office building. We went just because someone said there was a mail drop box on the 8th floor, but actually a few minutes after we arrived, there was an organ concert. It was really great. The organ was made in 1923 for a theater and moved to the building in '77. The man was great. He used both feet and both hands all at once, everything going in different directions, opening and closing the flaps, playing percussion, and doing the keyboard all at once. He played Phantom of the Opera, Bach, Star Wars, The Entertainer, some circus/carnival stuff, Josh Groban's song "You Raise Me Up," and more.

Before the concert, we met a state representative's wife and the state representative. The name was Bob Flynn, I think.

Grandma got a picture of the governor's mansion from the 8th floor of the state building before we left.

We ate at McDonald's, then Grandma went wandering and I went to the youth hostel to see if I could stay there for the summer. I found out that a person can only stay for up to 7 days during a 3 month period, so I can't stay there, but the woman there suggested that I post a flyer at a grocery store offering to house sit, so that's what I did! I made a flyer and Grandma and I walked over to the grocery store and posted it. As soon as we returned, someone called about the ad, but she was confused--she thought I needed a housesitter and she was offering her services. Oh well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home