Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Day of arrival

Grandma Bev and I arrived in Juneau at around 9:30am. The view out the plane window was just breathtaking. Evergreen trees, snow peaked mountains stretching for miles and miles, large bodies of saltwater lakes dividing mountain ranges, it was all just magical and unlike anything I've ever seen. I could tell right away why Michael wanted to live here permenantly. I was already considering doing the same (but don't worry, I won't).

A nice boy named Patrick picked us up from the airport in a Prospector Hotel van. He told us about everything we passed in the car and even took us the long way back to the hotel through downtown so we would know our way around. He offered to take us anywhere in town any time he worked (otherwise he would have to work at work!).

We unpacked and walked downtown in search of lunch, which we found at The Wharf. The Wharf is one building with several mini resturaunts, bars, stores, and services inside. Don't let me fool you, it's not that big. Grandma was reluctant to eat at a bar, but the maitre'd assured us it was as much a restaurant as it was a bar, so we ate on the back patio, soaking up the sun and watching float planes land and take off right there by The Wharf's back patio. The mountains stood on the other side of the bay like they were just there for our viewing pleasure while we ate.

We then went to a tourist shop so I could buy some film, but at $12 for a 4 roll pack, I decided I'd wait and shop around, but Grandma and I both bought postcards (5 for $1) and she bought a magnet (She and Don put them on the vent hood of the stove in thier travel trailer. They get a new one for every place they've been.)

Then we stopped by the Silverbow, which is four businesses in one: a bagel shop, a hotel, a catering business, and a restaurant. We asked for Michael, but he had left for the day just before we got there (bummer!). He apparently doesn't even know we're in town yet. Everyone there spoke highly of him. They like him alot. I was going to scedule an interview for later, but Summer (a girl my age) said she could interview me right away, so I was interviewed right then and there. I asked Summer if I looked like my brother and she said, "No, not at all." I think Michael and I have the same eyes and the same big lips, like Jason too.

So, we came back and rested, then went to the Alaska Museum just right next to the hotel. It was nice, with lots of wildlife information, Native Alaskan artifacts, history of exploration and ownership of the land, and an exhibit of paintings by a famous Alaskan artist. Everything was cool, but I liked the paintings best, especially of sled dogs, and the baskets made from woven grass, but the grass was split in two to make it extra fine. According to the placard, these baskets are some of the most finely woven in all the world. It's amazing what some people can do with thier hands. It's quite a craft.

For dinner, I went to a nearby grocery store and found sandwich and snacky stuff. That'll cover a few dinners a little more cheaply, but even groceries are more expensive here. I suppose it's difficult to import everything.

Before bed, we watched "E True Hollywood Story: Doris Day," which was really interesting. She was broke through much of her life through money mismanagement, and she didn't even care that much about being a famous actress. Her final and greatest passion is animals, and she still works for animal rights today. It makes me want to watch some of her movies.

Well, goodnight. It's been a long day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home